Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A popular dance considered as part of the tradition of a particular people or area.
- ‘The fandango and other popular folk dances are enjoyed throughout the country.’
- ‘The Russians clearly took folk dances and stylized them so they became part of the ballet vocabulary.’
- ‘There are two categories of traditional dance: court dances and folk dances performed by farmers, shamans, and villagers.’
- ‘But he told this reporter that his route was from folk dance to modern dance.’
- ‘Though an expert in western dance, the class VI student prefers the traditional folk dances.’
- ‘The most famous English folk dance is the Morris dance, still seen at local festivals.’
- ‘One of the most common and generalized folk dances is the hora (circle dance), danced by men and women holding hands.’
- ‘The Pongal dance, Holi dance and the folk dances performed by the students kept up the traditional touch.’
- ‘From the Vaishnavas come the legends and mythology of Krishna, to whom are ascribed the popular Ras and Garba folk dances.’
- ‘Fiesta de Sevillanas, staged by all of the participating dancers, is one of the most popular folk dances in Spain.’
- ‘These were distinct from folk dances like the ‘Perani’ and ‘Prenkhani’, which were performed in open arenas.’
- ‘She was mainly taught folk dance, but modern dance was also incorporated to a small degree.’
- ‘In a popular folk dance called the hopak, male dancers compete against each other, performing acrobatic leaps.’
- ‘The Jabro, again, is a popular folk dance of the Changpan tribe of Changthan area of Ladakh.’
- ‘On the day we performed, Italian artists in full Renaissance regalia offered opera, folk dances and other historical entertainment.’
- ‘Israel also has a lively tradition of folk dances, which are performed by professional troupes and at occasions such as weddings.’
- ‘The folk dances were a bit bouncy, rather than earthbound, but done with exuberant energy.’
- ‘Jhumar, Sammi, Luddi, and the sword dance are all popular folk dances of the Punjab.’
- ‘The reception is accompanied by music and dancing, including popular Romanian songs and folk dances.’
- ‘Renaat began dancing in the Flemish folk dance movement in the 1950s.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.