Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Relating to leaves.‘foliar colour and shape’
- ‘Dense foliage in irrigated winter wheat may favor development of different foliar and leaf spotting diseases.’
- ‘The bean leaf beetle, a foliar feeder, has been observed to most affect early planted beans.’
- ‘The highest rate of B foliar fertilization resulted in leaf burn but had no other evident detrimental effect on plant growth.’
- ‘These results indicate that stomatal uptake can be a major pathway for the foliar uptake of ionic solutes.’
- ‘Apart from the age, light availability may significantly modify foliar and plant allocation traits.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin foliaris, from Latin folium leaf.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.