Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
attributive Relating to leaves.‘foliar colour and shape’
- ‘The bean leaf beetle, a foliar feeder, has been observed to most affect early planted beans.’
- ‘Apart from the age, light availability may significantly modify foliar and plant allocation traits.’
- ‘Dense foliage in irrigated winter wheat may favor development of different foliar and leaf spotting diseases.’
- ‘The highest rate of B foliar fertilization resulted in leaf burn but had no other evident detrimental effect on plant growth.’
- ‘These results indicate that stomatal uptake can be a major pathway for the foliar uptake of ionic solutes.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin foliaris, from Latin folium ‘leaf’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.