Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[attributive] Relating to leaves:‘foliar colour and shape’
- ‘Apart from the age, light availability may significantly modify foliar and plant allocation traits.’
- ‘The highest rate of B foliar fertilization resulted in leaf burn but had no other evident detrimental effect on plant growth.’
- ‘The bean leaf beetle, a foliar feeder, has been observed to most affect early planted beans.’
- ‘These results indicate that stomatal uptake can be a major pathway for the foliar uptake of ionic solutes.’
- ‘Dense foliage in irrigated winter wheat may favor development of different foliar and leaf spotting diseases.’
Late 19th century: from modern Latin foliaris, from Latin folium leaf.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.