Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[as modifier] Relating to or concerned with the addition of recorded sound effects after the shooting of a film.‘a foley artist’
- ‘Most of the foley work was recorded in the same rooms where the scenes were actually shot.’
- ‘When you hear that sound in the movies, it is usually due to foley effects.’
- ‘Dialogue was clear and the foley effects approached naturalism.’
- ‘We did almost no foley work other than punch and stab sounds, and there was no ADR or looping of any kind.’
- ‘Actors, foley artist and musician work well together and everyone looks as if they are having great fun.’
Named after the US film technician Jack Foley (1891–1967), the inventor of the process.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.