One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Trivial or nonsensical fuss.‘all the folderol of the athletic contests and the cheerleaders’
disturbance, racket, uproar, tumult, ruckus, clamour, brouhaha, furore, hue and cry, palaver, fuss, stir, to-do, storm, maelstrom, meleeView synonyms
- ‘And frankly, all the foolish falderal from the Me Decade has long since dissolved into a conglomeration of good will.’
- ‘Stripped of arcane folderol, that's what the Electoral College amounts to.’
- ‘The folderol that followed was rather dismal, with angry conservative politicians threatening to reform the judiciary.’
- ‘Shows allowed the natural course of events to dictate their decisions, not some focus group falderal.’
- ‘Naturally, it's the really annoying kids who understand all the scientific falderal that saves the day.’
- ‘He had limits to how much folderol he could stand.’
- ‘This stupid movie would have buried itself even without her fictional falderal influence.’
- ‘Oh, by the way, Hill was censured by the Senate this week in a bit of parliamentary falderal.’
- ‘The cocktails parties were long sessions during which we talked about birds, especially terns, mixed with much folderol.’
- ‘Don't you be going on about all that metric folderol.’
- ‘Anatolians also carry out their tasks with no need for folderol.’
- ‘No amount of folderol, flummery or flattery makes it easier to swallow.’
- ‘That kind of folderol is enough to make any reasonable person cringe.’
- ‘Instead, the filmmakers contented themselves with piling on more of the same tired war movie folderol.’
- ‘The upcoming gala Golden Week respite from the daily folderol will put our publishing schedule into a cocked hat yet once again.’
2dated A showy but useless item.ornament, novelty, gewgaw, piece of bric-a-brac, bibelot, trinket, trifle, bauble, gimcrack, bagatelle, curio, curiosity, plaything, toyView synonyms
Early 18th century first used as a meaningless refrain in popular songs.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.