One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Trivial or nonsensical fuss.‘all the folderol of the athletic contests and the cheerleaders’
disturbance, racket, uproar, tumult, ruckus, clamour, brouhaha, furore, hue and cry, palaver, fuss, stir, to-do, storm, maelstrom, meleeView synonyms
- ‘The cocktails parties were long sessions during which we talked about birds, especially terns, mixed with much folderol.’
- ‘Stripped of arcane folderol, that's what the Electoral College amounts to.’
- ‘Don't you be going on about all that metric folderol.’
- ‘Instead, the filmmakers contented themselves with piling on more of the same tired war movie folderol.’
- ‘The upcoming gala Golden Week respite from the daily folderol will put our publishing schedule into a cocked hat yet once again.’
- ‘He had limits to how much folderol he could stand.’
- ‘Shows allowed the natural course of events to dictate their decisions, not some focus group falderal.’
- ‘This stupid movie would have buried itself even without her fictional falderal influence.’
- ‘No amount of folderol, flummery or flattery makes it easier to swallow.’
- ‘And frankly, all the foolish falderal from the Me Decade has long since dissolved into a conglomeration of good will.’
- ‘Oh, by the way, Hill was censured by the Senate this week in a bit of parliamentary falderal.’
- ‘The folderol that followed was rather dismal, with angry conservative politicians threatening to reform the judiciary.’
- ‘Anatolians also carry out their tasks with no need for folderol.’
- ‘Naturally, it's the really annoying kids who understand all the scientific falderal that saves the day.’
- ‘That kind of folderol is enough to make any reasonable person cringe.’
2dated A showy but useless item.ornament, novelty, gewgaw, piece of bric-a-brac, bibelot, trinket, trifle, bauble, gimcrack, bagatelle, curio, curiosity, plaything, toyView synonyms
Early 18th century first used as a meaningless refrain in popular songs.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.