One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of artificial underground passage or chamber found in Cornwall.
- ‘One interpretation of fogous is that they were storage-spaces - although the year-round dampness makes this unlikely.’
- ‘It would also have been difficult to get anything in and out of the fogou through the tiny entrances.’
- ‘A fogou or underground passage lies 130 m. to the south.’
- ‘There are only 11 other definite or probable fogous known, and around 20 other possible sites.’
- ‘These people use the fogou as their spiritual center for ceremony, initiation and teaching.’
From Cornish fogo, fougo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.