One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A form of artificial underground passage or chamber found in Cornwall.
- ‘One interpretation of fogous is that they were storage-spaces - although the year-round dampness makes this unlikely.’
- ‘These people use the fogou as their spiritual center for ceremony, initiation and teaching.’
- ‘There are only 11 other definite or probable fogous known, and around 20 other possible sites.’
- ‘It would also have been difficult to get anything in and out of the fogou through the tiny entrances.’
- ‘A fogou or underground passage lies 130 m. to the south.’
From Cornish fogo, fougo.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.