Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A bright light on a motor vehicle, used in foggy conditions to improve road visibility or warn other drivers of one's presence.
- ‘Some of the lights that are installed on vehicles include headlights, fog lights, projector headlights, and clear corners.’
- ‘Small, round standard fog lamps are tucked into the lower air inlet.’
- ‘Some are designed so that fog lights can also be bra free.’
- ‘The older man turned on the fog lights but the road was still hard to see.’
- ‘Others including boy racers use the fog lights in normal weather conditions to look cool.’
- ‘In the early hours of the morning, police saw a driver using fog lights when there was no need for it and checked him.’
- ‘Unfortunately, the switch for the rear fog light is not coordinated with the front lights, so it can be left on by mistake.’
- ‘Doesn't it bug you, too, that every other airhead on the road seems to have his/her fog lamps on?’
- ‘The front has been equipped with a pleasant front bumper, encasing the now-obligatory mesh vent between two fog lamps.’
- ‘Buyers can customize their new motorcycles to include metallic paint, CD players, rear parking sensors, fog lights, and more.’
- ‘There are chrome grille highlights, new fog lamps and metallic-look tail lamps in the exterior charges.’
- ‘You can restyle your older BMW cars with Auto Parts Inner's BMW headlights, BMW fog lights or BMW altezza tail lights.’
- ‘The exterior features a combined spoiler and front bumper with an enlarged air intake and integrated front fog lamps.’
- ‘There are new trapezoidal front fog lamps in a reshaped bumper, too, and a premium-flavoured option-list.’
- ‘Round fog lamps replace the rectangular fog lamps of the 330.’
- ‘I later got threatened with arrest because I didn't repair the fog light that was broken in the collision.’
- ‘Both get fascia-mounted fog lamps and cornering lamps.’
- ‘Built-in fog lamps and multi-reflector headlights add to the picture of an upmarket executive saloon.’
- ‘The SE trim adds leather upholstery, steering wheel audio controls, cruise control and front fog lights among other items.’
- ‘The use of front fog lights in good weather conditions is hazardous, dazzling on-coming drivers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.