Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A songbird of the weaver family occurring in Madagascar and islands in the Indian Ocean, the male of which typically has mainly red plumage.
- ‘The native fodies may also face competition from the Madagascar fody, which has been introduced to Mauritius.’
- ‘Glad you saw the fodies, they have since your visit been captive breeding them and released 8 birds just prior to Xmas on Ile Aux Aigrette!’
- ‘Whilst the fodies have attracted much conservation and research effort, the blue pigeons have not.’
- ‘This could provide a major, sustainable, contribution to the conservation of the fody and other highly endangered Mauritian birds.’
- ‘When adult terns are disturbed, the fody tips the egg from its branch onto the ground to smash it and then eats it.’
A local word.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.