Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Directing a great deal of attention, interest, or activity towards a particular aim.‘Darren knows what he wants and he's very focused’‘he seems to be very focused on the new challenge’‘the need for more focused research’
concentrated, concentrating, attentive, absorbed, engrossed, fascinated, enthralled, enrapt, rapt, earnest, intense, studious, fixed, steady, steadfast, occupied, preoccupied, wrapped up, alert, watchful, observantdetermined, resolved, firm, committed, single-mindedinflexible, obsessive, obsessed, fanatical, fixatedView synonyms
- ‘Perhaps we have become too focused on the bottom line.’
- ‘Now in college, he is taking a very good course - elective, not required - focused on the roots of Western culture.’
- ‘Mr Darling claims he has always been for focused tax rises.’
- ‘In nineteenth-century America, racial uplift ideology focused on the civilization of the African Diaspora.’
- ‘Right now everybody is focused like a laser beam on the economy.’
- ‘To gain an insight into the role of 4-fucosylation during development, the study focused on tobacco flowers.’
- ‘In the 1980s, we became the first regionally-based law firm to open a London office, focused on corporate transactions.’
- ‘Feed mills with a volume of less than 999 tons per year to 9,999 tons focused on beef feed.’
- ‘I would say yes, focused meditation might add to becoming more of a boulder.’
- ‘Given his extreme reaction to his testicular examination, my initial thoughts focused on psychogenic pain.’
- ‘At home, he remains focused on decreasing Brazil's shocking inequality.’
- ‘All thoughts for the moment, however, are focused on the task in hand.’
- ‘Design for energy conservation need not depend solely on engineers focused on mechanical solutions.’
- ‘The first approach is the choice of focused subject material for the story.’
- ‘We make deliberate, focused - deliberately focused attack.’
- ‘Section 2 of the instrument primarily focused on anxiety management.’
- ‘Chertoff today rejected suggestions his Department of Homeland Security was too focused on terrorism to respond effectively to the natural disaster.’
- ‘Of course, the prime attention is focused on the richer clubs, which are eyeing participation in European tournaments.’
- ‘Recent antitumor research has been focused on tyrosine kinase growth factor receptors.’
- ‘The programme is meant to introduce a service-oriented culture focused.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.