One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A group of people assembled to participate in a discussion about a product before it is launched, or to provide feedback on a political campaign, television series, etc.
- ‘In our next focus group we will be concentrating more on feedback from a female audience.’
- ‘Three constructions of sovereignty were produced through the focus group discussion.’
- ‘A guide containing open-ended questions was developed to steer the focus group discussions.’
- ‘She said further meetings with a working group, referred to by MARA as a focus group, would be held in January.’
- ‘The focus group will never tell the political leader and it will never tell the newspaper editor.’
- ‘The following table groups topics that people in the focus group mentioned as of high interest to them.’
- ‘Think of the money we'll make by eliminating the risk of acts that aren't the product of a focus group!’
- ‘Eight patients and six spouses participated in a focus group.’
- ‘You may have heard of or even participated in a focus group.’
- ‘The education focus group discussed core curriculums for specialty nursing groups.’
- ‘Better to use your family as a political sounding board than a focus group in a front room in Luton.’
- ‘He had organized a focus group of Democratic voters for a recent presidential debate.’
- ‘People can make their point to the council by post, on the internet, over the phone or as part of a focus group.’
- ‘A focus group of society members discussed the issue, and the majority favoured banning A-boards.’
- ‘You see, for a couple of years in the mid 1990s I had the chance to participate in a ThinkPad focus group.’
- ‘The focus group meetings and feedback from patients and carers led to significant changes in the information leaflets.’
- ‘Apparently the movie was put to a focus group to get an idea of what people would think of it.’
- ‘Of course, the people recruited to participate are critical to the success of the focus group.’
- ‘It helped us out a lot to do our first focus group and have people tell us how much they liked the music.’
- ‘During the focus group discussions, which were guided but never led, the subtleties of such terms were explored more fully.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.