Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The plane through the focus perpendicular to the axis of a mirror or lens.
- ‘Incident light passes through a collimating lens and a computer-generated holographic disperser, then onto a focal plane array for detection.’
- ‘The laser beam for Raman excitation was focused to a static diffraction limited spot in the center of the focal plane.’
- ‘This distribution approximates the blurring of the microscope at different focal planes by varying the Gaussian width parameter.’
- ‘Because the reticle is in the first focal plane, the diameters of the circles are a constant 9’ at all ranges and powers.’
- ‘When the bead moves relative to the trap, the distribution of light changes in the back focal plane of the condenser.’
- ‘This shifted the buffer fluorescence away from the focal plane of the large core fibers.’
- ‘Their method is different from this method because they break the Gaussian intensity distribution of illuminating laser on the focal plane.’
- ‘The fiber was brought into focus, and the bead was manipulated into the same focal plane.’
- ‘Therefore the focal plane of the microscope was varied until an accidentally observed object had its greatest extension in that plane.’
- ‘This focal plane is taken to correspond to the midsagittal plane of the vessel.’
- ‘All measurements were made in the focal plane of the trapping/heating lasers, as per the figure in the Appendix.’
- ‘Fluorescent images were taken at different focal planes.’
- ‘Reciprocal linear dispersion indicates the width of spectrum that is spread over 1-mm at the focal plane.’
- ‘This setup captures only light from the focal plane, while out-of-focus Raman light and fluorescence background is strongly rejected.’
- ‘Then, the cell- and bead-holding pipettes were carefully aligned to get the focal plane and the plane of cell-bead contact to coincide.’
- ‘Time-lapse microscopy in multiple focal planes was performed for analysis of embryogenesis and cytokinesis defects.’
- ‘Optical focal planes near the surface of stage 17 embryos stained with anti-ß3 are shown.’
- ‘A lens focuses this light at the back focal plane of the objective to allow collimation at the sample.’
- ‘These measurements were normalized to the diameter of the nucleus at the center focal plane.’
- ‘Uncooled focal planes have reached astonishing levels of performance.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.