One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to the centre or most important part.‘the focal symbol of sovereignty is the crown’
important, main, principal, major, chief, primary, notable, noteworthy, outstanding, arresting, conspicuous, striking, noticeable, obvious, remarkable, signal, prominent, pronounced, predominant, dominant, key, crucial, vital, essential, basic, staple, critical, pivotal, prime, central, paramountView synonyms
- ‘In the Maldives, the sea is the focal attraction - a perfect narrow crescent of a beach lapped by the lagoon-like Indian Ocean.’
- ‘Hence, we repeated our analysis, splitting our data into whether the focal bird was dominant or subordinate.’
- ‘The third plot while without a central focal character is the most important thread: the coming of the Second Boxer Rebellion in China.’
- ‘Combinations of these types, such as oblique faulting, are depicted by variations of these principal types of focal mechanisms.’
- ‘We focused our analysis on a focal population receiving migrants from an infinitely large number of populations.’
- ‘A focal outlet would also be set up in the Board for exploring the export possibilities for khadi products, adds Mr. Nandakumar.’
- ‘Dubey cuts the figures at the edges and at unusual angles to create focal interest in the compositions.’
- ‘With this idea of perpetual motivation, the Internet has become the focal source/medium of the research.’
- ‘To date, most of the work in this area has focused on repurchase intentions as the focal dependent variable.’
- ‘The headlight also has a convergent lens which is focused in the vicinity of the second focal region so as to project this light patch on the road.’
- ‘They have a new, contemporary edge and are being used as accents or on single focal walls in a room.’
- ‘At the 2002 World Cup he was focal to England's strategies.’
- ‘But a better organizing principle - some kind of narrative or focal story, numbered points, whatever - would help us remember more.’
- ‘The statement will acknowledge that the retail industry is changing and will stress the need for suitable locations to be found for large focal retailers.’
- ‘Perhaps more important, excitation and photobleaching are limited to the focal region.’
- ‘The focal theme this time was ‘strategies for drought management and alternate cropping system in canal areas’.’
- ‘For comprehensive understanding, it is important to have focal and subsidiary awareness of ethical dilemmas.’
- ‘But we do intend to put something back that we can all be proud of to make a new focal centre of the village again.’
- ‘We performed region of interest analysis in two focal brain areas: the hippocampus and the temporal lobes.’
- ‘Radical challengers have a hard time appearing inevitable or focal.’
Relating to the focus of a lens.
- ‘There are now Bifocal lenses, a type of contact lens design that includes two focal areas: one for near, one for distance.’
- ‘Residual longitudinal chromatic aberration introduces a focal shift for any wavelength variation.’
- ‘Huygens discovered the law of refraction to derive the focal distances of lenses.’
- ‘Meduna identified six patients with focal seizures in whom the brain focus was surgically excised.’
- ‘Such focal adjustability may not be available in phakic lenses for at least four years.’
3(of a disease or medical condition) occurring in one particular site in the body.
- ‘If CAV is present, then options such as coronary interventions may be used, depending on whether focal disease is present.’
- ‘Cranial vasculitis may lead to focal neurologic deficits.’
- ‘In 141 autopsies of people without focal neurological disease, 57 probably had Alzheimer's disease.’
- ‘Lung involvement ranges from fleeting focal infiltrates or interstitial disease to massive pulmonary hemorrhagic alveolar capillaritis.’
- ‘The laryngeal inlet showed chronic inflammatory changes and the tongue showed focal congestion and mild inflammatory changes.’
Late 17th century: from modern Latin focalis, from Latin focus, or directly from focus.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.