One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large fruit bat with a foxlike face, found in Madagascar, SE Asia, and northern Australia.
- ‘The Megachiroptera, or fruitbats and flying foxes, navigate largely by sight and have large, forward-facing eyes that can see in very dim light, as you can see on the skeleton of a fruitbat pictured above.’
- ‘A few years later, he decided to become a full-time nature photographer; his subjects have included orangutans in Borneo, capybaras in Brazil, and flying foxes in Australia.’
- ‘The Megachiroptera includes the so-called fruitbats and flying foxes of the tropical forests of India, Africa, Asia, and Australia.’
- ‘All flying foxes are fruit bats, but not all fruit bats are flying foxes.’
- ‘Megabats, commonly known in Australia as flying foxes, weigh in at two pounds (one kilogram) and can have wingspans of up to six feet (two meters).’
2Australian NZ An overhead cable and apparatus for transporting materials over difficult terrain.
- ‘Instead of taking part in the fun and games of rigging a flying fox, I was roped into sorting out the cage of ropes and other vertical gear (ropes, harnesses, carabiners, etc.).’
- ‘The entrance at the north end on West Street has ample parking, a children's play area, a skate board park and a flying fox.’
- ‘The accompanying parade, some suspended from flying foxes, formed a subtly changing tableau.’
- ‘With a bit of luck one of Simon's team will take the only sane option and grease the handle of the flying fox just before he gets on.’
- ‘The yard is kitted out with self-constructed buildings, ducks, an old car, chooks, a flying fox, a rope swing, a fire pit for cook-ups from the vegie patch, and heaps of colourful painting.’
- ‘For two years during the war no wool had been taken out so the Rehabilitation Board organised a flying fox which was used to transport wool and people.’
- ‘This year will see the introduction of the flying fox, a 100 metre glide across the grounds by the Boy Scouts.’
- ‘We had a wire cable across the river with a flying fox on it.’
- ‘She remembers travelling across the river on the flying fox set up by the bridge workers to transport people and materials across the water.’
- ‘The flying fox, organised by the Scouts, was the main attraction for all the daredevils on the day.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.