Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The return of the scanning spot in a cathode ray tube to the starting point.
fly back, recoilView synonyms
- ‘Spacing at the half-wavelength level would allow large-angle beam steering without creating this detrimental flyback effect.’
- ‘If you did not do anything with the flyback, gradually the internal capacitance will become shorted and you will need to refurbish the flyback.’
- ‘This is a big no-no, since the chopped wave put out by a dimmer can cause a fluorescent ballast to emit big flyback voltages and spikes, which then travel through a building's wiring, causing other mischief.’
- ‘The STV8179F meets the need in large-size, reduced-depth CRT monitors for high output-current levels and flyback voltages, coupled with low heat dissipation.’
- ‘I assume that they look out for things like the flyback of the electron beam to sync their detections.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.