Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The return of the scanning spot in a cathode ray tube to the starting point.
fly back, recoilView synonyms
- ‘The STV8179F meets the need in large-size, reduced-depth CRT monitors for high output-current levels and flyback voltages, coupled with low heat dissipation.’
- ‘Spacing at the half-wavelength level would allow large-angle beam steering without creating this detrimental flyback effect.’
- ‘I assume that they look out for things like the flyback of the electron beam to sync their detections.’
- ‘If you did not do anything with the flyback, gradually the internal capacitance will become shorted and you will need to refurbish the flyback.’
- ‘This is a big no-no, since the chopped wave put out by a dimmer can cause a fluorescent ballast to emit big flyback voltages and spikes, which then travel through a building's wiring, causing other mischief.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.