One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The return of the scanning spot in a cathode ray tube to the starting point.
fly back, recoilView synonyms
- ‘This is a big no-no, since the chopped wave put out by a dimmer can cause a fluorescent ballast to emit big flyback voltages and spikes, which then travel through a building's wiring, causing other mischief.’
- ‘The STV8179F meets the need in large-size, reduced-depth CRT monitors for high output-current levels and flyback voltages, coupled with low heat dissipation.’
- ‘If you did not do anything with the flyback, gradually the internal capacitance will become shorted and you will need to refurbish the flyback.’
- ‘Spacing at the half-wavelength level would allow large-angle beam steering without creating this detrimental flyback effect.’
- ‘I assume that they look out for things like the flyback of the electron beam to sync their detections.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.