Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A ceremonial flight of aircraft past a person or a place.‘a fly-past by an RAF formation’
- ‘The RAF has also agreed to stage a fly-past in a Sea King helicopter.’
- ‘A ceremonial fly-past was made by an RAF Chinook helicopter from RAF Odiham.’
- ‘To commemorate the day, the PMG's helicopter squadron organised a fly-past of the headquarters in Loloho.’
- ‘The police helicopter and the air sea rescue helicopter both did fly-pasts.’
- ‘The service included the unveiling of a commemorative plaque at Gurney Airfield and a fly-past by an F - 111 from No.6 Squadron.’
- ‘Nearly 6,000 enthusiasts flocked to the Aviation Viewing Park to see the show and a fly-past by the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, featuring a Lancaster bomber and Hurricane and Spitfire fighters.’
- ‘Aircraft from RAF Linton-on-Ouse are to conduct a fly-past at the funeral of a York-born man as a tribute to his devoted work at the Yorkshire Air Museum.’
- ‘Once again, the fly-pasts were conducted bang on schedule, with the aircraft circling overhead to the mounting excitement of the children.’
- ‘He led the fighters in the victory fly-past over London.’
- ‘The Me 262 had to prove its value in actual combat as opposed to fly-pasts in front of an invited audience.’
- ‘As she steamed in, the band of the Royal Marines played on the vessel's flight deck, while a fly-past by a Jaguar jet fighter and three helicopters gave her a warm welcome home.’
- ‘The Red Arrows are due to perform a fly-past for the Queen at the opening ceremony.’
- ‘It will enter the estuary at about noon and arrive in Hull two hours later, with a fly-past from RAF Tucano aircraft, from Linton-on-Ouse.’
- ‘There was a fly-past by a C - 130 and a lone bugler played The Last Post.’
- ‘As part of the commemoration, the York branch of the Royal Air Force Association also staged a parade and there was a fly-past of nine Tucano aircraft from RAF Linton-on-Ouse.’
- ‘The Hornets from No.75 Squadron conducted the fly-past en route to an exercise off the Perth coastline.’
- ‘It will reach a peak with a fly-past by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, which includes a Lancaster bomber, a Hurricane and a Spitfire, during the weekend of July 5 and 6.’
- ‘It will be followed by a fly-past by the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight Dakota, a display by pipers and a military salute.’
- ‘Thousands of veterans are expected to attend the ceremony, which will include a fly-past and a military band, on the eve of the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War.’
- ‘They have been seen at recent ceremonial fly-pasts here.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.