One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting a package holiday which includes a flight and car rental at the destination.
- ‘Good fly-drive packages are a popular option.’
- ‘American expansiveness now looks bloated and fatigued to anyone not planning a fly-drive holiday to Florida.’
- ‘As part of his prize James has won a fly-drive trip to the USA and to show his thanks he is taking Aileen with him.’
- ‘Ah yes, it fair sets the heart a-pumping just thinking about the personal fly-drive option.’
- ‘Its excellent brochure offers well-written advice on the attractions of the regions, and its packages include ferry and fly-drive options.’
- ‘The company has also introduced some innovative ideas, including apartment holidays, riding packages, fly-drive breaks and tailor-made itineraries.’
- ‘Many others, particularly those on fly-drive deals or travelling independently, have been left to finance extra days themselves.’
- ‘In fact, as my girlfriend and I stepped out of our deserted off-season hotel to start the second day of a fly-drive holiday we were blissfully ignorant of the drama close by.’
- ‘Thanks to budget flights, campers can now leave their car at home and let the plane take the strain, with the fly-drive option proving attractive for those wanting to travel as far as the Mediterranean.’
- ‘They are becoming increasingly popular with fly-drive Brits anxious to get under the skin of ‘real’ Spain away from the densely populated Costa del Sol.’
- ‘A couple of years later, he returned with a friend on a fly-drive visit.’
A fly-drive holiday.
- ‘Spring and autumn give shorter days but most attractions are utterly deserted then, making a fly-drive feel more like an expedition.’
- ‘It will help to salvage some US fly-drive business.’
- ‘A fly-drive with three kids, including a less than malleable 11-year-old, didn't promise a relaxing holiday.’
- ‘This new service will be attractive to people wanting fly-drives to Arizona and the Grand Canyon as well as those wanting to stay in Las Vegas.’
- ‘Students are left untaught for half the year so they can attend harvests, pilgrimages and religious festivals (refashioned as pubs, fly-drives and raves).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.