Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Subject to flux.
- ‘This indicates that the helix is probably fluxional even when the receptor is not activated.’
- ‘The major contribution to this CRMS is the low-resolution loop region, which is likely to be quite fluxional and may be very different between crystal and solution.’
dated Relating to fluxions.
- ‘Berkeley's arguments are directed chiefly against the Newtonian fluxional calculus.’
- ‘The second version occurs as Corollary 2 to Proposition 7 and was thought of as a method of expanding solutions of fluxional equations in infinite series.’
- ‘The mathematics curriculum grew accordingly to include algebra, trigonometry, and sometimes even Newton's fluxional calculus.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.