One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘But generally it is accepted that choirboys produce a more flute-like, pure, penetrating voice than girls, who have a slightly more breathy and husky quality.’
- ‘The village band consisted of five men with flute-like objects, one bloke with an enormous bass drum and a small child with a snare drum and a bad sense of rhythm.’
- ‘The flute-like tones created by blowing air into the pipes is weirdly animal-like.’
- ‘The flute-like ney and the rebec-like kemenche make peculiar sounds that instantly evoke Turkey or Persia and which have an eerily human affect in their tone that is remarkable.’
- ‘The duduk is a small, flute-like instrument made out of apricot wood and played in many parts of the Middle East and Central Asia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.