One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glass tube which radiates light when phosphor on its inside surface is made to fluoresce by ultraviolet radiation from mercury vapour.
- ‘Light boxes are made up of a set of fluorescent bulbs or tubes generally encased in small, portable devices of plastic or aluminum.’
- ‘They all have a pinkish/magenta hue and are designed to eliminate the greenish colour that fluorescent tubes and mercury-vapor street lights cast on daylight film.’
- ‘The system is equipped with two fluorescent tubes emitting green light centered around 515 nm.’
- ‘In addition to retrofitting lights, ASC recycles fluorescent bulbs, which contain mercury, keeping about 750 bulbs a year out of landfills.’
- ‘Below the lenses and between each beam are a series of three shells - concave space frames that capture and diffuse the light emitted from the fluorescent tubes and the edges of the lenses.’
- ‘Bright fluorescent tube lights bathed him in a white glow and banished any shadows in the room, giving him plenty of detail to inspect.’
- ‘‘Well I thought it was really stupid for two people to fill a fluorescent tube with petrol, light it and then attempt to have a light saber fight,’ said Peemil.’
- ‘The unit measures approximately 30 inches by 24 inches by 7 inches externally and contains twelve 24 inch black light fluorescent tubes and 6 ballasts.’
- ‘And yet they are really concerned with scientism, the ideological disease; for these camps, science grows in laboratories and creates light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.’
- ‘The other way that we encounter light is in devices that produce light - incandescent bulbs, fluorescent bulbs, lasers, lightning bugs, the sun.’
- ‘This pair recalls Dan Flavin's Minimalist installations in which fluorescent tubes shine their colored light from the rear.’
- ‘Hollywood Reporter felt that, ‘after a seductive start, it all becomes an empty swirl of smoke and mirrors - or, in this case, flickering fluorescent bulbs and icy glass’.’
- ‘Fruit were placed in an incubator maintained at 20°C with lighting from fluorescent tubes.’
- ‘The light intensity of fluorescent tubes is also measured and rated on another standardized scale called lumens.’
- ‘Seedlings were exposed to light from a single fluorescent tube during measurement only.’
- ‘Next comes a ‘healer’ from Malaysia who lights a fluorescent tube held in his hand, and draws evil from a patient's body by rolling an egg over the afflicted.’
- ‘White light was obtained from fluorescent tubes.’
- ‘The laboratory was illuminated with fluorescent tubes and lamps with 40 - W bulbs placed 30 cm above the floors of plastic arenas to give extra heat and light.’
- ‘This same process allows a spark to flow between the conductors of a spark plug or a stun gun, and also carries electricity from one end to the other of a fluorescent tube.’
- ‘Another simple step is to replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, which only use one-third the electricity and last 10 times longer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.