One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glass tube which radiates light when phosphor on its inside surface is made to fluoresce by ultraviolet radiation from mercury vapour.
- ‘They all have a pinkish/magenta hue and are designed to eliminate the greenish colour that fluorescent tubes and mercury-vapor street lights cast on daylight film.’
- ‘Hollywood Reporter felt that, ‘after a seductive start, it all becomes an empty swirl of smoke and mirrors - or, in this case, flickering fluorescent bulbs and icy glass’.’
- ‘Seedlings were exposed to light from a single fluorescent tube during measurement only.’
- ‘White light was obtained from fluorescent tubes.’
- ‘Fruit were placed in an incubator maintained at 20°C with lighting from fluorescent tubes.’
- ‘Another simple step is to replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs, which only use one-third the electricity and last 10 times longer.’
- ‘Next comes a ‘healer’ from Malaysia who lights a fluorescent tube held in his hand, and draws evil from a patient's body by rolling an egg over the afflicted.’
- ‘This same process allows a spark to flow between the conductors of a spark plug or a stun gun, and also carries electricity from one end to the other of a fluorescent tube.’
- ‘Light boxes are made up of a set of fluorescent bulbs or tubes generally encased in small, portable devices of plastic or aluminum.’
- ‘This pair recalls Dan Flavin's Minimalist installations in which fluorescent tubes shine their colored light from the rear.’
- ‘The system is equipped with two fluorescent tubes emitting green light centered around 515 nm.’
- ‘The unit measures approximately 30 inches by 24 inches by 7 inches externally and contains twelve 24 inch black light fluorescent tubes and 6 ballasts.’
- ‘Bright fluorescent tube lights bathed him in a white glow and banished any shadows in the room, giving him plenty of detail to inspect.’
- ‘‘Well I thought it was really stupid for two people to fill a fluorescent tube with petrol, light it and then attempt to have a light saber fight,’ said Peemil.’
- ‘The other way that we encounter light is in devices that produce light - incandescent bulbs, fluorescent bulbs, lasers, lightning bugs, the sun.’
- ‘The laboratory was illuminated with fluorescent tubes and lamps with 40 - W bulbs placed 30 cm above the floors of plastic arenas to give extra heat and light.’
- ‘And yet they are really concerned with scientism, the ideological disease; for these camps, science grows in laboratories and creates light bulbs and fluorescent tubes.’
- ‘The light intensity of fluorescent tubes is also measured and rated on another standardized scale called lumens.’
- ‘In addition to retrofitting lights, ASC recycles fluorescent bulbs, which contain mercury, keeping about 750 bulbs a year out of landfills.’
- ‘Below the lenses and between each beam are a series of three shells - concave space frames that capture and diffuse the light emitted from the fluorescent tubes and the edges of the lenses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.