Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Give (a finely divided solid) the characteristics of a fluid by passing a gas upwards through it.‘the massive kimberlite was fluidized and carried upwards at low temperatures’
- ‘Fluidization experiments show that as flow velocities increase small grains can be carried through fluidizing beds containing a mixture of coarse and fine grains.’
- ‘They occur when a layer of unconsolidated sediment is fluidized and transport of fluid and suspended grains takes place through overlying sediment to the sediment-water interface.’
- ‘A sandstone dyke can form at any depth provided there is a source of non-cemented sand that can be fluidized.’
- ‘In most basins sands that can be fluidized are interbedded with ‘leaky’ shales of high permeability (for shales) that do not sustain high overpressure during normal compaction.’
- ‘In this instance a greater pressure differential is established, higher flow rates ensue, and a larger volume of sediment can be fluidized.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.