One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular The study of forces and flow within fluids.
- ‘This study is an attempt to determine whether standard concepts of fluid mechanics can yield a self-consistent model of this process.’
- ‘Studying granular flows is an area where solid and fluid mechanics come together.’
- ‘Chris resided in California completing his graduate studies in fluid mechanics but he returned at Christmas of that year and began dating Sue.’
- ‘Brodetsky's work was mainly on aerodynamics and fluid mechanics.’
- ‘He worked on applied mathematics topics such as engineering, elasticity and fluid mechanics and, in addition, he made contributions to Fourier series and their application to physical problems.’
- ‘To find further information about this, I would suggest any basic physics textbook, or, more in-depth, a textbook on fluid mechanics.’
- ‘Just imagine the difficulty you would have trying to do fluid mechanics without differential techniques.’
- ‘The omission may be in part a consequence of the historical relegation of some of these topics - for example, fluid mechanics - to engineering.’
- ‘This approach, commonly attributed to Newton rather than to Euler or Cauchy, is chosen over its main competitor, the variational formulation of Lagrange, to be taught in a typical fluid mechanics course.’
- ‘And in that one volume, he put forward the foundations of modern differential geometry, the Riemann zeta function, an important problem in fluid mechanics.’
- ‘He made contributions to numerous branches of mathematics, celestial mechanics, fluid mechanics, the special theory of relativity and the philosophy of science.’
- ‘But he earnestly hoped, too, that engineers might find a practical application for his novel geometries, perhaps in the complicated world of fluid mechanics.’
- ‘His work in Berlin covered many topics: astronomy, the stability of the solar system, mechanics, dynamics, fluid mechanics, probability, and the foundations of the calculus.’
- ‘At the same time, the woman - who already holds diplomas in mathematics, applied physics and fluid mechanics - was studying at a university in Compiegne, northeast of the French capital.’
- ‘The force exerted by the fluid on the cell is known from fluid mechanics; however, determining the precise mechanical force experienced by the molecule requires complex analysis.’
- ‘Von Mises worked on fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, aeronautics, statistics and probability theory.’
- ‘They started with a simple, 20-year-old model for meandering speed based on classical fluid mechanics, then worked out equations for the resulting evolution of the river shape.’
- ‘So we can only rely on first principle physics, good old Newtonian physics and fluid mechanics, and what we know to be true.’
- ‘So what are the forces on the fluids we study in fluid mechanics?’
- ‘How I would like to be in the field of planetary science, in which 80% of the publications appear in two journals, in contrast to the 250 journals in fluid mechanics!’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.