Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A pipe acting as a flue.
- ‘They are an attractive, affordable alternative to metal chimney caps and exposed flue pipes, but there is much more to them.’
- ‘Such inspections should look for blocked openings to flues and chimneys; cracked or disconnected flue pipe; dirty filters; rust or cracks in the heat exchanger; soot or creosote build-up; and exhaust or gas odors.’
- ‘A water heater flue pipe should extend at least 12 inches above the roof line and should terminate no closer than four feet from an openable window.’
- ‘Metal flashings can be found around plumbing pipes, chimneys, flue pipes, attic vents, skylights, and in areas where the roof meets a wall, chase, or other vertical surface.’
- ‘The place to check for carbon monoxide is not inside the flue pipe.’
- ‘A large wood cookstove was farther up the outer wall, its flue pipe leading to a brick chimney.’
- ‘Examine the condition of the flashings around chimneys, flue pipes, vent caps and anyplace where the roof and walls intersect.’
- ‘There was Harry Cat, curled up tight as tight in a paint tray that'd been washed out and left to dry on the counter over the heating boiler, right up against the flue pipe.’
- ‘Gas fireplaces also utilize specific types and sizes of flue piping, and in most instances they cannot be vented into an existing masonry chimney or utilize existing woodstove flue pipes.’
- ‘First, there is the matter of the $600 charge to extend the flue pipe above the roof line or to another approved location.’
- ‘Homeowners, masons, architects, and builders are specifying chimney pots as an alternative to less attractive metal wind and rain guards and flue pipes.’
- ‘Fuel burning appliances should be rust free as well as flue pipes.’
- ‘The company provides loans to the 221 farmers in form of agricultural inputs as well as roofing sheets and flue pipes for constructing barns, where tobacco is cured (dehydrated).’
2An organ pipe into which the air enters directly without striking a reed.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.