One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An irregular rising and falling in number or amount; a variation.‘fluctuations in the yearly values could be caused by a variety of factors’‘the current fluctuation in energy prices’
variation, shift, change, alteration, swing, movement, oscillation, undulation, alternation, rise and fall, rising and falling, see-sawing, yo-yoing, instability, unsteadinessView synonyms
- ‘Supply and demand regulate nothing but the temporary fluctuations of market prices.’
- ‘This system stabilizes our market more than the US market and fluctuations have not been as great.’
- ‘See also here for the real explanation of earth's temperature fluctuations.’
- ‘They are unique because there is no other retail section in which price fluctuations are the accepted norm.’
- ‘How many cents constitute a dollar is no more subject to daily fluctuation and uncertainty than inches in terms of yards.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.