Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small container, typically with sloping sides and made from plastic or earthenware, used for growing a plant in.
flowerpot, planter, jardinièreView synonyms
- ‘In some instances the plants are shown in flowerpots or cups.’
- ‘The looms, once used to weave cloth into beautiful intricate patterns, are still hanging around, but are not in much use, while rice mortars have turned into flowerpots and herb containers.’
- ‘Small plants bloom from hand-painted flowerpots on the tables.’
- ‘The birds then obligingly dropped their feces into well-placed plastic flowerpots near popular perches throughout a large, wooded test area.’
- ‘Look for objects such as watering cans old tools or flowerpots that you can dress up with lights flowers or greenery.’
- ‘A 17th century rubbish pit in Norwich contained fragments of ‘horticultural vessels’, or household flowerpots.’
- ‘There were flowerpots with plastic plants and the room was painted a happy green and there was a large green frame that contained Viviane's picture with one of her friends.’
- ‘Tall plants and flowerpots were spreading the aroma of greenery.’
- ‘When Woodward wanted a meeting, he would position an empty flowerpot containing a red flag on his apartment balcony.’
- ‘Fill any clean shallow container, such as a flowerpot base, or terra cotta pot, with plain tap water.’
- ‘Fill nine small containers, such as flowerpots or tea cups, with presoaked floral loam.’
- ‘Many Dutch gardeners like to force successive flowerings of hyacinths indoors in flowerpots.’
- ‘I do this by standing the hanging basket on a large flowerpot for a week to 10 days before hanging.’
- ‘The best way to control this is to ensure that any foliage, mulch or flowerpots are removed from the area.’
- ‘Will an apple seed planted into a flowerpot grow into an apple tree or a flower?’
- ‘I've brought in lots of flowerpots filled with plants to add color to the yard.’
- ‘Clay flowerpots, glazed bowls, tin boxes, even paraffined cheese cartons can be used.’
- ‘Prepare a couple of flowerpots by inserting a plastic cup or other waterproof vessel filled with soaked green floral foam.’
- ‘A round cactus plant in a flowerpot and a photograph of Mukundan and Nalini taken on a drama set stood on a table.’
- ‘Instead of using a flowerpot, place your candy tree on top of a cake stand tied with a colorful red ribbon for an extra-special presentation.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.