One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A plant that produces flowers; an angiosperm.
- ‘It is well known that most flowering plants produce more ovules than the number of seeds they mature.’
- ‘Ray's plant classification system was the first to divide flowering plants into monocots and dicots.’
- ‘Those with spacious yards have large trees, like fruit tree, while others have flowering plants or potted plants.’
- ‘The proportion of flowers and ovules that develop into fruits and seeds in flowering plants rarely reaches 1.’
- ‘Orchids, flowering plants and fruit-bearing trees have been combined to green the area.’
- ‘This, in turn was surrounded by several whorls of bracts that many homologize with petals and sepals in flowering plants.’
- ‘The gardens are mainly in lawn with flowering plants, shrubs, trees and an enclosed rear yard.’
- ‘Trees, shrubs, bushes and flowering plants were being planted on the graves.’
- ‘A major change in terrestrial vegetation took place in the Cretaceous with the evolution of the angiosperms, or flowering plants.’
- ‘The majority of flowering plants produce multicellular trichomes.’
- ‘Combine flowering plants with interesting foliage textures and colors.’
- ‘In maize, as in all flowering plants, the seed develops inside a coat of maternal origin.’
- ‘There is a small front garden, planted with a variety of flowering plants and shrubs, that provides private parking.’
- ‘Trees, shrubs, flowering plants were brought by a good number of people and the fund raiser was a good success.’
- ‘Within the Antarctic Circle there are no trees, no flowering plants, no grasses.’
- ‘The driveway is flanked by trees, flowering plants and shrubs as well as an expansive manicured lawn.’
- ‘The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.’
- ‘In flowering plants, pollen development represents a good model to study cell communication and signalling as well as cell elongation.’
- ‘Many flowering plants bear trichomes, modified epidermal structures on their aerial surfaces.’
- ‘The back garden is laid in lawn and includes mature pines, shrubs and flowering plants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.