Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant that flowers at a specified time or in a specified manner.‘bedding plants and other summer flowerers’
- ‘Galanthus reginae-olgae is a reliable early flowerer, producing its faintly scented blooms as early as October.’
- ‘Clearly fulfilling the public's desire for heavy flowerers, Harkness sells more floribundas than any other group of roses, and has done so consistently since the late 1970s.’
- ‘Late winter flowerers amongst the exotic garden plants include the range of azaleas, camellias, purple magnolias and snow-sprayed, white Cape May bushes.’
- ‘Group one is made up of early flowerers including montana, armandii, alpina, and macropetala, all of which are about to flower their hearts out and so are best avoided.’
- ‘Clematis ‘Jackmanii’ is a late flowerer with abundant purple flowers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.