One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A compact mass of flowers at the top of a stem, especially a capitulum.
- ‘This species has sweet and palatable bulbs and also bears clusters of bulbils at the flower head.’
- ‘Pinch the stem under the flower head firmly and give it a snap.’
- ‘Once a flower head has reached the point where its seeds are mature, the plant will usually stop producing flowers.’
- ‘Leeks will reseed, and they have a beautiful flower head.’
- ‘It relates to the disposition of leaves on a stem and seeds in a flower head.’
- ‘Heads of bell-shaped pendant drops form the flower head.’
- ‘In broccoli and cauliflower, the damage is indirect because caterpillars eat the leaves and not the commercial flower head.’
- ‘If you look closely at the flower head you can see lots of bulbils forming - each one of those will grow into a new plant if it gets the chance.’
- ‘To try your luck, remove the flower head after the petals fade, let the tulips complete their life cycle, then plant outdoors.’
- ‘Eggs are deposited among the florets on the face of the flower head.’
- ‘The flower head consists of a spathe and spadix.’
- ‘From the Asiatics, the new hybrids inherit their warmer colors and upright calyx (the green outer spiral of leaf that holds the flower head up).’
- ‘She perched on the edge of the fountain, snapping off a flower head as she passed.’
- ‘The pipewort family, whose plants put forth a single flower head on one stem, is well represented by three kinds of pipeworts, at least two kinds of bog-buttons, and one species of hatpins.’
- ‘The flower head is small, initially no more than an inch across.’
- ‘Let's move on to consider the shot of a single flower head.’
- ‘Seeds were collected from these two rows of the flower head only and at defined days after anthesis.’
- ‘We allowed the female to remain on the senesced plant, while we introduced a male to the stem of the healthy plant, immediately below the flower head.’
- ‘Alternatively you can make squares to stick on the front of the cards with a flower head or some other decoration.’
- ‘When the flowers begin to fade and before a seed pod forms, cut the flower head… but be careful to leave the foliage to die back naturally.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.