Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A small brown darkling beetle that is a widespread pest of flour and other cereal products.
- ‘IGRs aren't toxic to humans, and they can suppress populations of important stored-product insect pests, such as the red flour beetle and the confused flour beetle.’
- ‘In either case, damage to stored grain by the lesser grain borer, rice weevil, red flour beetle, and rusty grain beetle costs the U.S. wheat industry about $500 million annually.’
- ‘The larva of the flour beetle Tribolium castaneum exemplifies this level of evolutionary organization.’
- ‘The red flour beetle is a major pest of stored grain and grain products and a popular model species for a variety of ecological, evolutionary, and developmental biology studies.’
- ‘This study examined the genetic basis of susceptibility to a tapeworm in the red flour beetle that serves as an intermediate host in its transmission.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.