One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small brown darkling beetle that is a widespread pest of flour and other cereal products.
Genera Tribolium, Gnathocerus, and others, family Tenebrionidae: several species
- ‘In either case, damage to stored grain by the lesser grain borer, rice weevil, red flour beetle, and rusty grain beetle costs the U.S. wheat industry about $500 million annually.’
- ‘IGRs aren't toxic to humans, and they can suppress populations of important stored-product insect pests, such as the red flour beetle and the confused flour beetle.’
- ‘The red flour beetle is a major pest of stored grain and grain products and a popular model species for a variety of ecological, evolutionary, and developmental biology studies.’
- ‘The larva of the flour beetle Tribolium castaneum exemplifies this level of evolutionary organization.’
- ‘This study examined the genetic basis of susceptibility to a tapeworm in the red flour beetle that serves as an intermediate host in its transmission.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.