Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[treated as singular] The branch of phytogeography concerned with the study of plant species present in an area.
- ‘The first chapter deals with floristics and the origin of the floras of the Sonoran Desert.’
- ‘Variation in shade management on coffee farms provides a gradient of similar habitats that vary in the complexity of vegetative structure and floristics.’
- ‘Students rotated from one scientist to another, assisting with data collection, and gained insight into each scientist's particular area (wetland ecology, cryptogams, syntaxonomy, floristics, or natural history).’
- ‘You can find more information about floristics, collections, and images of flowering plants by looking through our Listings of Remote Catalogs.’
- ‘In addition, upper canopy vegetation is an efficient predictor of the understory vegetation and results from woody plant floristics may apply to other plants with similar distribution patterns.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.