Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to the study of the distribution of plants.‘floristic research’‘floristic diversity’
- ‘This descriptive floristic study will provide foresters, biologists, educators, and KSNPC personnel with data on the flora and vegetation of the Preserve.’
- ‘However, a number of vascular floristic studies on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee in the past 40 years have increased our baseline botanical knowledge of this region.’
- ‘Since 1971, eight floristic studies have contributed to our knowledge of the vascular flora of south Alabama.’
- ‘The analyzed data consisted strictly of the presence/absence of non-woody species, since many of the studies were floristic inventories and lacked measures of relative abundance.’
- ‘The relative species richness of the Preserve was then compared to selected floristic studies from the Cumberland Plateau using the same species area curve.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.