Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The boards or other material of which a floor is made.
- ‘Linoleum and vinyl aren't new to the commercial market segment, but like other resilient floorings they're enjoying renewed popularity thanks to new designs, better performance and fewer maintenance hassles.’
- ‘These floorings are durable and low maintenance and easier to replace than ceramic if damaged.’
- ‘Metal, glass-topped tables look cool and sophisticated and for floorings, natural terranova stone, polished limestone tiles or pale wooden floors complete the crisp, modern look.’
- ‘There is a wide choice of flooring materials to use.’
- ‘The sitting room, which looks out onto the busy Athy Carlow road, comes with timber laminated flooring, open fireplace and tongue and groove ceiling.’
- ‘You can get the look of wood, ceramic tile, or stone using laminate flooring.’
- ‘There are some differences, however, mainly in the fact that the thicker unfinished strip floorings require a special nailing gun for proper application.’
- ‘It cannot be removed as easily as other floorings, should you decide to install another floor at a later date.’
- ‘The points of my heels tapped softly against the wood floorings, the boards rasping gently with age.’
- ‘You may need to use a piece of finished flooring material if the floor has not yet been installed.’
- ‘Other types of tiled floorings or even wooden flooring can have a direct effect on the surface because of the expansion and contraction of the flooring material.’
- ‘Only a minority are cut into sawlog and made into high value furniture, flooring or building materials.’
- ‘The most popular styles of hardwood flooring are parquet, strip and plank.’
- ‘The homes also have wool carpeting and floorings made of bamboo or cork as alternatives to traditional carpeting made from synthetics, which gives off noxious gases.’
- ‘The foundation of the building and its lowest level of flooring were made of reinforced concrete.’
- ‘She offers advice on colors, hardwood floor designs, matching your floorcovering to your lifestyle, the relative noise levels of different floorings, and even cleaning and maintenance.’
- ‘Two weeks later when all the walls were fully painted and the smell was gone, the floorings were placed, the centralized air conditioning was installed, and the furniture was all set.’
- ‘This bright space has Junkers wooden flooring, intricate ceiling plasterwork and a vaulted glazed ceiling with spotlighting.’
- ‘There are four kinds of people in the world and none of them have alabaster sand floorings.’
- ‘After finding a matching stain color by experimenting on scraps of flooring, stain the boards to match the original floor.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.