One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1British A cloth used for washing a floor.
rag, dishcloth, wipe, sponge, dusterView synonyms
- ‘Mount St Joseph School is appealing for old floorcloths - the older and blacker the better - for the children to use to mop the floor in the performances between March 23 and 26.’
- ‘Well, yes, but it's really no different to the vast reams of newsprint given over to the young prince and his efforts with a floorcloth.’
2North American A thin canvas rug or similar light floor covering.
rug, runner, carpet, druggetView synonyms
- ‘Russian Hamlet was truly chilling when the poor addled prince (Igor Markov alternating with Yuri Smekalov) imagined the ghost of his murdered father fighting its way up through a floorcloth.’
- ‘Learn to create wall murals, stencil floorcloths and floors and other projects with this helpful book.’
- ‘Edgar Allan Poe reflected these negative sentiments when he offered a stinging criticism of the wildly painted floorcloths that adorned households across the United States.’
- ‘The well-known itinerant painter Rufus Porter offered the following instructions on how to make a stencil and use it to decorate a floor or a floorcloth.’
- ‘Spies is a singer/songwriter and visual artist who will be exhibiting acrylics, wall hangings, floorcloths, and sculpture as well as offering multi-media workshops, music and performances.’
- ‘As we looked on a man would take a small canvas sack about two feet long, fill it quite full of linseed meal from a large box by his side, place this bag in a strong cover of a kind of floorcloth with flaps going over the top and down each side.’
- ‘Other similar details include the simple clothing, the sewing equipment, the painted furniture, and the patterned floorcloths prevalent at the time in American houses.’
- ‘The world through which she progressed was one of fire and coal: Painted in an abstract, expressionist style, the reds that dominated the backdrop and floorcloth were shot through with black.’
- ‘In this lesson, children learn the value and joy of charitable work through designing, sewing and painting floorcloths for our furry friends.’
- ‘Long inspired by the period rooms at the Metropolitan Museum, the collectors had the floorcloth under their dining table copied from one under the table in the Baltimore Dining Room at the museum.’
- ‘The linkage is further suggested in the entrance hall by the floor and glossy floorcloth, both painted grass green.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.