Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An entertainment presented on the floor (as opposed to the stage) of a nightclub, restaurant, or similar venue.
entertainment, show, floor show, performanceView synonyms
- ‘Of course, 60 years ago $10 would cover a filet mignon or lobster dinner with drinks as well a floor show in a posh night club.’
- ‘Nightly entertainment at hotels and clubs consists of a floor show of limbo dancing, folk dance, and live bands.’
- ‘Its live floor show roots ensure that it fulfils all camp requirements outrageously and effortlessly.’
- ‘We are offering that service with an added edge- a floor show they won't find anywhere else in the world.’
- ‘I'll treat you to lunch at Milliways, we'll even stay for the floor show!’
- ‘If the management had invested more in the floor show, it would help offset their major sin: mediocre pizza at exorbitant prices.’
- ‘The Glynneath club featured a floor show, and one artist who had played there contacted me.’
- ‘He had a real mean look in his eyes and both the cronies had turned round now to give me their full attention, the reflected floor show in the mirrors not letting them see enough.’
- ‘This time I went straight for the first floor show and managed to catch it right from the beginning -which is no mean feat when it's 45 minutes long.’
- ‘He wondered if this was the beginning of the floor show, but shook his head in confusion.’
- ‘Then there is the annual birthday party and floor show.’
- ‘So when the universe decides it's my turn there is almost certainly a cosmic gathering of monumental proportions that stands on the sideline and waits for the floor show.’
- ‘And for those on the top deck, the floor show had just begun.’
- ‘This price includes a buffet breakfast, the use of the hotel's conference facilities, lunch, a gala dinner and a floor show.’
- ‘When all six feet of an irritated Amazon queen gets going, it's better than a floor show.’
- ‘Unfortunately, by the time you read this, weather conditions and commercialism will have transformed Sonja Henie's former home away from home into an outdoor café. The frigid floor show reopens in mid-October.’
- ‘Although their music can be a bit bland at times, they really put on a fantastic floor show.’
- ‘Like they'd been practising their own little contribution to the floor show for some time, the leader cantered off to the side and made space for two other riders to come forward.’
- ‘But there is a floor show, where gaucho dancers in regional costumes dance in boots and spurs.’
- ‘You can order canapés, crab cakes, oyster and caviar and if you can take your eyes off the floor show and the gorgeous women on show, you may even have time to eat.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.