Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The leader of a party in a legislative assembly.
- ‘He didn't shoot well, wasn't as effective a floor leader as he's been in the past, and had differences of opinion with coaches and other players.’
- ‘Wallace began his statewide political career as a legislative floor leader for Folsom.’
- ‘Stockton, 39, isn't quite the player he was five or 10 years ago, but he's still an incredible passer, a fine shooter and an outstanding floor leader.’
- ‘The steady hand of an experienced floor leader is invaluable, analogous to a quarterback in football and pitcher in baseball.’
- ‘The floor leader was an undrafted rookie free agent who six years earlier stood willing to give up his basketball dream for the streets of Atlanta.’
- ‘The floor leader of the House of Representatives is a vehement opponent.’
- ‘If the team loses him, it needs a steady floor leader who doesn't do anything special but avoids stupid mistakes and has a great feel for the game.’
- ‘She is definitely our floor leader and our general and she can definitely lead us to gold.’
- ‘He's a natural floor leader, will pass the ball when Kobe tells him to and can hit open shots.’
- ‘Coach is a great defensive coach, a motivation and he pushes me to be the floor leader and get the ball to the right people.’
- ‘If you learn how to take charge of your team now, you will be a great floor leader as you get older.’
- ‘But Williams is still proving himself as a floor leader, and the key contributors are still extremely inexperienced.’
- ‘He is a fiery floor leader, and his all-around skills have improved.’
- ‘This draft is deep in point guards, but not the point guards who were expected to make this a smorgasbord for teams searching for a floor leader.’
- ‘Many of the team's woes over the years can be tied to the lack of a floor leader who looks to pass first.’
- ‘He is a floor leader who doesn't make a lot of mistakes.’
- ‘The group elected Nikolov as its floor leader.’
- ‘Marbury was solid in his first year in Phoenix (as KJ was in his) but a nagging ankle injury and player and coaching movement prevented him from showcasing his full talent as a floor leader.’
- ‘‘St. John's has an excellent floor leader,’ Tubby Smith says.’
- ‘I was the pro-choice floor leader when the bill passed the Maryland House of Delegates in 1991.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.