One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A channel built to take the floodwaters of a river.‘the floodway is used every second spring on average’
- ‘About 40 per cent of water flowing into the Seine River at peak flows would be diverted directly into the floodway.’
- ‘The proposed alternate project must not be located in the regulatory floodway and will have to be insured if located in the 100-year floodplain.’
- ‘In order to build the course, a floodway needed to be moved, which required permits from the Department of Natural Resources.’
- ‘Backed by their representatives in Congress, they demand a $165 million project to, yes, prevent too much flooding in the floodway.’
- ‘There has probably been little doubt for some months now that an ambitious plan to greatly expand the Greater Winnipeg Floodway will proceed.’
- ‘The truck and its two trailers veered off the road and plowed across a floodway before spilling its contents.’
- ‘It may open a floodway that hasn't been used since 1973.’
- ‘An enlarged floodway will eventually protect the city against a flood likely to occur once in about 700 years.’
- ‘The water-level study shows that the expanded floodway would benefit some communities at the 1997 flood levels.’
- ‘This project gives people living outside the city some of the benefits of the floodway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.