One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of the lower ribs which are not attached directly to the breastbone.Also called false rib
- ‘Here toe kicks should be directed at the larger, most accessible areas - such as the lower abdomen and floating ribs.’
- ‘The tenth rib may be a floating rib (a frequent observation by Japanese investigators).’
- ‘The agent's left floating rib cracked, and he gasped in pain and surprise.’
- ‘The punch is again parried as the defender steps forward with the right foot and a counter attack is made by a punch to the attacker's floating ribs.’
- ‘Here it is used to target the floating ribs as the arm is captured and pulled back.’
- ‘At the same time that you step, strike with your elbow against the attacker's floating ribs.’
- ‘The focus is on lengthening the space between the hip bones and the lower, floating ribs - the area where the baby is growing and the mother's internal organs are rising and shifting - and on opening the pelvis.’
- ‘Along the lateral side of the chest and through the free ends of the floating ribs, it meets the former branch at the hip region.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.