One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rank of officer in the RAF, above flying officer and below squadron leader.
- ‘The group ranges in rank from sergeant to flight lieutenant and includes technical specialists, a military working dog handler and an air traffic control officer.’
- ‘Identifying ways for engineers to help solve their profession's declining workforce numbers has earned a flight lieutenant recognition from his engineering peers.’
- ‘The trophy, initiated in 1996, recognises outstanding achievement by personnel from sergeant to flight lieutenant in the technical and engineering fields.’
- ‘Mr Long, a former flight lieutenant, was based at RAF Lyneham from 1962 until 1994.’
- ‘He returned to Australia in December and was demobilised in June 1946, a month after he was promoted to flight lieutenant.’
- ‘‘My husband is a bit of a peacock,’ admits Lucy, who is married to an RAF flight lieutenant.’
- ‘The flight lieutenant of Lyneham air cadets has praised his youngsters for giving up their Christmas holidays to help victims.’
- ‘He was promoted to the rank of flight lieutenant in 1998 and started a RAAF undergraduate residency training at Nambour General Hospital in Queensland.’
- ‘John Mills initially seems typecast as the dashing flight lieutenant, though there are subtle signs early on that he's not all he seems.’
- ‘Back in 1954 Mr Radford was a flight lieutenant working as a test pilot and earned a salary of around £25 a month.’
- ‘Among those taking part was former mayor and town councillor Maurice Cooper, who is a flight lieutenant with the ATC and has helped run the Marlborough squadron for many years.’
- ‘He was commissioned in mid-1944 and made flight lieutenant two years later.’
- ‘At the time McGee, an RAF flight lieutenant in Wiltshire, didn't think about the cause.’
- ‘Her brother, Alan, spent 14 years in the Navy, her elder sister was a reservist for eight years and her next sister is married to an Air Force flight lieutenant.’
- ‘Former RAF flight lieutenant Mr Banks and his wife started a narrow boat hire business out of Selby lock basin, in 1989.’
- ‘After the war, he joined Coates, the textile firm, but tired of civilian life within weeks and returned to the RAF with a permanent commission in the rank of flight lieutenant.’
- ‘McGuinness was born in June 1951, in Rinteln near Hanover, Germany, where his father Philip, a Royal Air Force flight lieutenant, was stationed.’
- ‘He served as a flight lieutenant in the Royal Air Force bomber command until 1947.’
- ‘Sadly, due to losing his sight four years ago, the former Royal Air Force flight lieutenant cannot dip into any of the 3,000 or so titles in his home library.’
- ‘And within the next few days the 26-year-old flight lieutenant from RAF Lyneham will be flying to the Gulf as part of the British military build up.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.