One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The range of combinations of speed, altitude, angle of attack, etc., within which a flying object is aerodynamically stable.
- ‘The improvement in flight characteristics provided by the four-bladed configuration has led to increases in flight envelope, maximum speed, vertical rate-of-climb, payload and rotor vibration level.’
- ‘Colonel Kinnaird said the flight's test pilots are not Chuck Yeager types who venture into a flight envelope that has never been done before.’
- ‘‘The flight envelope of the pod in which it is mounted is open to 50,000 ft,’ says Topaz.’
- ‘Through a robust airworthiness procedure, its test and engineering capabilities allow for the safe operation of aircraft outside of standard flight envelopes.’
- ‘The speed brake can be employed throughout the entire aircraft flight envelope with minimal change to steady state trim settings.’
- ‘A fully automatic rocket-assisted ejection seat allows escape at all altitudes and speeds within the aircraft's flight envelope.’
- ‘This implies that, if abort capability is desired during this part of the flight envelope, some type of rocket-powered escape capsule must be used.’
- ‘The multi-year project will expand the hypersonic flight envelope for air-breathing engines.’
- ‘The different operating environments and generally different types of flight envelope between the two mean a comparison of hours is of little value unless you factor in all the differences.’
- ‘The reason is that when we were out exploring the frontiers, we were out at the edges of the flight envelope all the time, testing limits.’
- ‘Rocketplane has modest goals to achieve passenger service in a flight envelope that was tested 45 years ago with X - 15.’
- ‘In this case, a combination of poor landing-gear-uplock design and possible proximity-switch failures caused a system failure within the established flight envelope.’
- ‘All the problems with Discovery's flight tell us we haven't yet done what it takes to fully understand the flight envelope.’
- ‘The primary objective of Helios' recent checkout flight was to expand the flight envelope of the aircraft and verify proper operation of aircraft systems at high altitudes.’
- ‘The pilot controls the aircraft through a computerised digital fly-by-wire system which provides artificial stabilisation and gust elevation to give good control characteristics throughout the flight envelope.’
- ‘CNN had set up a video camera in the rear cockpit to film the flight and, according to plans, a further testing of the aircraft's flight envelope would be undertaken.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.