One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A member of a flight crew responsible for the aircraft's engines and other systems during flight.
- ‘Along with me were the first pilot and the flight engineer.’
- ‘Everyone who crews a it - the pilots, navigator, flight engineer and loadmasters - all do the course at some point, and they're not allowed to fly tactical operations until they do.’
- ‘The aircraft is flown by five crew members: the pilot and co-pilot, flight engineer and two loadmasters.’
- ‘Trevor, migrated from England in 1940 to work as a test flight engineer with the then Government Aircraft Factory.’
- ‘The flight deck accommodates the pilot, the co-pilot and the flight engineer.’
- ‘Hovering over the designated drop zone the aerial gunner and flight engineer on each aircraft use their 7.62 mm ‘mini-guns’ to provide pararescue jumpers cover as they rappel to the ground.’
- ‘The aircraft commander, pilot, navigator and flight engineer get the aircraft in and out of the storm safely.’
- ‘Next, direct the flight engineer to take over the engines and trim the airplane for the best climbing airspeed.’
- ‘If you are the flight engineer, notify the pilot of any engine malfunction.’
- ‘Centred behind the pilots, the flight engineer monitoring the instruments reacts quickly to correct the situation; this allows the pilots to concentrate on the take-off.’
- ‘If the cabin is pressurized, do not descend at a rate exceeding the value calculated by the flight engineer, and either adjust automatic pilot for descent or turn it OFF.’
- ‘His brother, in the right seat, had logged about 18,000 hours, had been a captain with two major airlines and continued to fly as a flight engineer for one of those air-lines.’
- ‘On my way to the plane, a flight engineer from another aircraft asked if I'd take a look at his oxygen.’
- ‘Many of the instruments and controls on the flight deck of the earlier version of Nimrod have been eliminated by the high level of automation in the aircraft's control systems which have taken over the work load of the flight engineer.’
- ‘Engineering Officer Dave Batic, has a long association with the Caribou, having worked with them previously as both an aircraft technician and a flight engineer.’
- ‘The captain called for the flight engineer to switch fuel feed to another tank, but the flight engineer responded, ‘we're out of fuel.’’
- ‘Even as a teenager Chawla knew that she wanted to become a flight engineer and pursue aircraft design.’
- ‘The flight engineer determined the aircraft unsafe to fly unless the problem was corrected.’
- ‘Compounding that was the flight engineer's apparently shutting down an engine that was still giving some power at 25 feet, just as they had rotated.’
- ‘On one the flight engineer from an aircraft which had been bombing in the Caen area, was brought into his tent.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.