Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The cockpit of a large aircraft.
- ‘These could easily light up the flight deck of an aircraft with startling results to the crew.’
- ‘I looked about the cabin, felt the vibrations of the old girl, watched the flight deck and how the pilots worked the great wheels on the yokes.’
- ‘Working in the flight deck of an aircraft involves dangers to one's health.’
- ‘I turned toward the flight deck, bent and saw George give me the thumbs-up.’
- ‘The unpressurised nosewheel bay is below the flight deck.’
- ‘The flight deck is fitted with dual controls for the pilot and copilot.’
- ‘The aircraft has state-of-the-art flight deck, avionics and navigation equipment.’
- ‘The flight deck has seven full colour liquid crystal displays.’
- ‘The flight deck is fitted with two Martin-Baker crashworthy seats.’
- ‘I was delighted to discover it has a control panel similar to the flight deck of an airliner, and the ability to massage almost every muscle in the body.’
- ‘On September 11 from the flight deck of United Airlines Flight 93, this was the voice of Ziad Jarrah.’
- ‘The helicopter is flown by a crew of three: the pilot and the copilot at the flight deck and one crew member in the cabin.’
- ‘The aircraft is equipped with an in-flight refuelling probe mounted above and behind the flight deck.’
- ‘RAAF pilots will not assume both seats on the flight deck until the aircraft is accepted and operated by the Air Force in 2006.’
- ‘The pilots took turns sleeping in the two bunks behind the flight deck.’
- ‘From the driver's seat to the the flight deck: avionics makers adopt auto technology.’
- ‘The flight deck is designed for two-pilot operation.’
- ‘Though cramped and confined, at least the flight deck is a room with a view - of sorts.’
2The deck of an aircraft carrier, used for take-off and landing.
- ‘The ensuing search-especially during evening hours on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier-makes the task even more unpleasant.’
- ‘While it was fun for many to move from the lower deck to the flight deck, for several others it provided moments they would never forget.’
- ‘The ships Sea King flight also remained busy, with two aircraft operating from her flight deck or helipads ashore.’
- ‘The royal party watched a dynamic display of aerial and aquatic action from the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal.’
- ‘Norwegian troops fast-roped on to the flight deck of the Norwegian exercise flagship Andenes from a Royal Navy Lynx.’
- ‘Two starboard lifts carry the aircraft from the hangar to the flight deck.’
- ‘The ship's company put in a sterling effort lifting the water from the tank deck to the flight deck for the water shuttle.’
- ‘The royal Navy has launched another fleet - one which will let you ride in a Sea Harrier or land a Merlin helicopter on the flight deck of a frigate!’
- ‘The ship has a flight deck at the stern with a single landing spot for the helicopter.’
- ‘This year's presentation took place on the flight deck of the 8,400 tonne amphibious landing ship then alongside Fleet Base East.’
- ‘At 0445 the flight deck was dimly lit, the Australian White Ensign illuminated as sailors and soldiers fell in for the dawn service.’
- ‘The helicopter was used to capture images of the ship as it pushed through the water as well as the military helicopters landing and taking off from the flight deck.’
- ‘The 27m flight deck at the stern of the ship has a landing grid equipped with a RAST system.’
- ‘He thinks about the fact that he works in one of the most dangerous places in the world, the flight deck of an aircraft carrier.’
- ‘Four people suffered minor injures when a crane toppled on to the flight deck of aircraft carrier HMS Invincible.’
- ‘When ordered to man our aircraft, we found the flight deck wet with spray and very windy.’
- ‘It has a flight deck, stern gate, a well deck that can ballast down to launch landing craft and a vast vehicle stowage area for AAAVs, trucks or tanks.’
- ‘What do you get if you have some sailors, measuring tape, pen and paper, and a bit of an aircraft carrier flight deck?’
- ‘She and her three sisters have a large stern internal docking area to enable landing craft to load up, and a large flight deck area to operate all types of Royal Navy, RAF and Army helicopters.’
- ‘Was it that excessive power was used to taxi on the flight deck or that an aircraft was directed too close to another?’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.