Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
treated as singular or plural The personnel who are responsible for the operation of an aircraft during flight.treated as singular ‘the flight crew aims to ensure you enjoy your trip’treated as plural ‘the flight crew were fined for not having entry visas’
- ‘The aircraft flight crew included two pilots, a member of the aviation crew who served as a data recorder, and two primary observers, one on each side of the aircraft.’
- ‘The company wants to cut the pay of 36,000 workers, including flight crew, cabin crew, engineers, administrative staff and ground staff.’
- ‘The passenger replaced the lid to trap the amphibian, and notified the flight crew.’
- ‘In the event of an actual airline incident the direction of airline flight crew, pilots and/or air marshals should be followed.’
- ‘The Americans provide the medical crew and equipment while Australians supply the aircraft and flight crew, as well as medical personnel.’
- ‘We had to cancel more than 200 flights due to aircraft and flight crew being out of place or exceeding their legal working hours.’
- ‘Notification of the closure had been included in the paperwork the flight crew received before departure.’
- ‘Our flight crew had flown as a unit since August 1944 and we worked well as a team.’
- ‘The two airline transport certificated flight crew members were fatally injured.’
- ‘The wet lease, which will include the aircraft, flight crew and maintenance services, will initially last for three months.’
- ‘The flight across the Alps was described as ‘difficult’ by the flight crew.’
- ‘The aircraft is manned by five flight crew and ten mission crew.’
- ‘Sergeant Bradley hears over the radio that the flight crew is on its way.’
- ‘On a long endurance mission the aircraft has a crew of 34, with 6 flight crew and 28 system operators.’
- ‘He said the flight crew didn't ask that the aircraft be de-iced, and that the last time he saw the airplane, there still was ice on the airframe.’
- ‘The flight crew arrived from Miami on Thursday, 5 August, and high-speed taxi tests were completed later that same day.’
- ‘The flight crew reported a loss of engine power approximately six minutes after takeoff.’
- ‘Passengers must present photo identification to the flight crew before boarding.’
- ‘And it's something that helps relieve some of the pressure that would otherwise be required of the flight crew to keep that aircraft stable.’
- ‘The aircraft is flown by two flight crew with between six and ten mission crew.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.