Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The activity of directing the movement of aircraft.
- ‘The operation of the dipping sonar is by a hydraulically powered winch, and the automatic flight control system includes a cable hover mode control.’
- ‘After take-off, the pilot can hand over flight control to the mission program until within visual range of the mission's first target.’
- ‘It is probably possible to adapt existing flight control systems from aircraft for use in rockets, but this is likely to be quite expensive.’
- ‘The helicopter's flight control system has been supplied by BAE Systems Aerospace Controls.’
- ‘It won't be long before the same satellites that track the weather will also be used for aircraft flight control, mobile phone calls, shipping forecasts and keeping close track of sunspots and lightning.’
- ‘The flight models are anything but realistic and flight control is probably the hardest part to learn in the game (use your joystick, don't pay attention to the manual).’
- ‘The system also provides flight control and navigation data intended for mission specific systems and equipment.’
- ‘In one demonstration, students start flying the basic F - 16, then sequentially remove flight control features until they are flying the aircraft manually.’
- ‘Our first indication of a problem was a shudder throughout the aircraft, and the DASH advisory lights for the automatic flight control system illuminated.’
- ‘We did all the scenarios which they talked about here today, and he never made any unusual movements, any unusual flight control implements.’
- ‘The combined head-up/head-level display is collimated at infinity, and presents data relating to flight control, navigation, target engagement and weapon firing.’
- ‘The full authority digital flight control system and avionics were developed by Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Division at Fort Worth.’
- ‘The Avionics and Vehicle Management Computer performs flight control processing, autopilot control, engine control processing, mission command and control, navigation, and other functions.’
- ‘Vaino Hoover, former president and chief executive officer of Hoover Electric Company, designed and manufactured electric actuators and power flight control system components for aircraft and deep sea equipment.’
- ‘The automatic flight control system is a dual redundant digital system, which provides autostabilisation and four-axis auto-pilot operation.’
- ‘The advanced flight models might be more accessible if you have invested in something like the Thrustmaster Afterburner flight control system.’
- ‘The pilot has excellent flight control of the F - 16 through its ‘fly-by-wire’ system.’
- ‘The month just past saw shipment to Bell of the BA609's flight control software from BAE Systems in Santa Monica.’
- ‘Data is still being gathered in the areas of weight and balance, flight control margins, potential for automatic flight control systems malfunction and aircraft performance limitations.’
- ‘Its flight control, navigation and vehicle management are independent and based on a mission plan.’
- 1.1count noun A flap or other control surface on an aircraft.
- ‘They first climbed to FL 150, where they checked engine data, flight controls and the anti-ice system, Courault said.’
- ‘It has manual flight controls, a high safety and reliability record, and can operate from grass, sand or waterlogged airstrips.’
- ‘The airplane will have manual flight controls.’
- ‘The CFI took over the flight controls and banked the airplane to the right.’
- ‘On the ‘before starting engines’ checklist, oxygen system checks are item number four, right after unlocking the controls, buckling up and checking the flight controls.’
- ‘The T10's rear cockpit will be modified to accommodate a casualty and will have its flight controls removed, together with most of its avionics.’
- ‘In addition to the flight controls, the control column carried the gun camera switch box, the gunsight switch box and a fluorescent light bulb for the instrument panel.’
- ‘The flight controls had been carefully rigged to fractions of a degree while the wing slats were removed and then refitted to ensure a perfectly smooth fit.’
- ‘Later designs have replaced the single island with a forward ship control island and an aft flight control island.’
- ‘The flight controls are ballistically hardened and the helicopter is equipped with redundant electric and hydraulic systems.’
- ‘‘The jet was flying pretty well, and the damage had not affected the flight control surfaces or the landing gear,’ Turner said.’
- ‘At this time, Captain Combs remarked on the presence of an abnormality in the flight controls, as the aircraft began to exhibit an uncommanded rolling tendency.’
- ‘The actual flight controls were little different than the flight controls of atmospheric aircraft.’
- ‘I continue to circle the colony using just the right combination of flight controls and power to give the biologist the best possible view of the birds below.’
- ‘The engines were replaced with freshly overhauled units while outer wing panels, tail section, and flight controls were removed and repaired.’
- ‘Hand-in-hand with fly-by-wire flight controls is powered-lift technology.’
- ‘Installing a panel, second seat, and a full set of flight controls was no small task but John and his crew entered the project with enthusiasm.’
- ‘The flight controls feature all push-pull rod primary controls and boosted ailerons.’
- ‘High-performance aircraft have a horizontal stabilizer placed so that, as a stall is approached, the turbulent air coming off the top of the wing hits the horizontal stabilizer and shakes the flight controls.’
- ‘New fairings were made for the fuselage \ wing root areas, and final adjustments of the control cables for all flight controls were finished.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.