One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A knife with a blade that springs out from the handle when a button is pressed.
- ‘He pressed a flick knife to the neck of the shopper and threatened to cut his throat if he did not hand over his car keys.’
- ‘A terrified woman taxi driver kept her nerve when a male passenger pulled out a flick knife and demanded her takings.’
- ‘Iona said she could not recall what raced through her mind when the mugger pulled out his flick knife.’
- ‘A large flick knife was still gripped tightly in his trotter.’
- ‘Mr. Torney said: ‘This is reminiscent of the flick knives of years gone by.’’
- ‘The window and display cabinets are scattered with many flick knives, butterfly knives, samurai swords and machetes, plus an arsenal of air - powered firearms.’
- ‘Among the weapons police took off pupils from the two schools were a flick knife, tent pegs, half a cricket bat and a baseball bat,.’
- ‘The latest headlines came earlier this week, when the former singer was handed a four-month suspended sentence for possession of a flick knife.’
- ‘He produced a flick knife with a five-inch blade from behind his back.’
- ‘Police are warning shopkeepers they could face prosecution for selling cigarette lighters which also contain a hidden flick knife.’
- ‘Police said she was approached by two men at 10.45 pm before one of them threatened her with what appeared to be a flick knife.’
- ‘The research was carried out following an incident in a North Yorkshire school where a flick knife concealed in a lighter was confiscated from a 15-year-old boy.’
- ‘Then he reached into his coat, and took out a flick knife.’
- ‘It was a pocket side opening flick knife, its handle made in green glass with a golden dragon embedded within it.’
- ‘Having been stopped by the police while driving a friend's car, he was found in possession of a flick knife.’
- ‘One of them pulled out a flick knife with a four-inch blade and the other demanded the pizza.’
- ‘She was stopped by a man who held a black handled flick knife to her throat and demanded money.’
- ‘Here, a 58-year-old man was assaulted and tied up after four or five men, one of whom was armed with a flick knife and another with a metal bar, kicked in the door of his house.’
- ‘Every teenager became a potential Marlon Brando clone, complete with flick knife and cycle chain accessories.’
- ‘‘Hand over your bag’ a boy pulled out a flick knife and stepped forward.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.