Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who has a primarily vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish:‘in my close social circle I have a vegetarian, a pescatarian, and a flexitarian’[as modifier] ‘a flexitarian diet’
- ‘She's been presenting her mostly vegetarian recipes (she describes herself as a flexitarian) since 2005.’
- ‘Whether you're a vegetarian or a flexitarian, cooler weather makes this the perfect time to start thinking about stews, stir-fries, and other main dish meals made with meat substitutes.’
- ‘So, it'd be hard for me to commit to a flexitarian lifestyle.’
- ‘Lightlife makes a meat-reduced lifestyle easy and affordable with several convenient, vegan and vegetarian options for the budding flexitarian in you.’
- ‘Someone who is flexitarian is very comfortable being vegetarian one day and eating meat the next.’
- ‘I'm thinking about changing our family (currently a blended eater family with me, a vegetarian, and my omnivore husband and our two undecided kids - one who leans toward veg and the other toward meaty) to a flexitarian family.’
- ‘In fact, many people enjoy a "flexitarian," or semi-vegetarian, lifestyle, in which they enjoy meatless meals several times a week.’
- ‘Nell Newman describes herself as a "flexitarian" when it comes to food and notes her favorite venue is farmers' markets.’
- ‘Any other flexitarians out there?’
- ‘Now I'm a militant flexitarian, and worship at the farmers' market.’
- ‘Our flexitarian producer Ariel Nunez is back on the mixing board and starts today's show with a gastrointestinal story about his first meat-eating experience in over six years.’
- ‘Although he says the ideal diet is vegetarian, even vegan, Dr Fuhrman is accepting of what he calls a 'flexitarian' approach, as long as you choose the best quality animal products (grass-fed meats, wild fish and organic or free-range poultry and eggs).’
- ‘I didn't do all the recipes because my family is flexitarian (mostly vegetarian, but we do eat seafood and poultry).’
- ‘If you're experimenting with going vegetarian, vegan, or flexitarian, this guide to meat substitutes can help you make smart choices.’
1990s: blend of flexible and vegetarian.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.