One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who has a primarily vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish.‘in my close social circle I have a vegetarian, a pescatarian, and a flexitarian’as modifier ‘a flexitarian diet’
- ‘Lightlife makes a meat-reduced lifestyle easy and affordable with several convenient, vegan and vegetarian options for the budding flexitarian in you.’
- ‘I'm thinking about changing our family (currently a blended eater family with me, a vegetarian, and my omnivore husband and our two undecided kids - one who leans toward veg and the other toward meaty) to a flexitarian family.’
- ‘So, it'd be hard for me to commit to a flexitarian lifestyle.’
- ‘Although he says the ideal diet is vegetarian, even vegan, Dr Fuhrman is accepting of what he calls a 'flexitarian' approach, as long as you choose the best quality animal products (grass-fed meats, wild fish and organic or free-range poultry and eggs).’
- ‘Someone who is flexitarian is very comfortable being vegetarian one day and eating meat the next.’
- ‘She's been presenting her mostly vegetarian recipes (she describes herself as a flexitarian) since 2005.’
- ‘Nell Newman describes herself as a "flexitarian" when it comes to food and notes her favorite venue is farmers' markets.’
- ‘Now I'm a militant flexitarian, and worship at the farmers' market.’
- ‘Our flexitarian producer Ariel Nunez is back on the mixing board and starts today's show with a gastrointestinal story about his first meat-eating experience in over six years.’
- ‘Whether you're a vegetarian or a flexitarian, cooler weather makes this the perfect time to start thinking about stews, stir-fries, and other main dish meals made with meat substitutes.’
- ‘Any other flexitarians out there?’
- ‘If you're experimenting with going vegetarian, vegan, or flexitarian, this guide to meat substitutes can help you make smart choices.’
- ‘I didn't do all the recipes because my family is flexitarian (mostly vegetarian, but we do eat seafood and poultry).’
- ‘In fact, many people enjoy a "flexitarian," or semi-vegetarian, lifestyle, in which they enjoy meatless meals several times a week.’
1990s: blend of flexible and vegetarian.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.