Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A person who has a primarily vegetarian diet but occasionally eats meat or fish.‘in my close social circle I have a vegetarian, a pescatarian, and a flexitarian’[as modifier] ‘a flexitarian diet’
- ‘So, it'd be hard for me to commit to a flexitarian lifestyle.’
- ‘Whether you're a vegetarian or a flexitarian, cooler weather makes this the perfect time to start thinking about stews, stir-fries, and other main dish meals made with meat substitutes.’
- ‘Although he says the ideal diet is vegetarian, even vegan, Dr Fuhrman is accepting of what he calls a 'flexitarian' approach, as long as you choose the best quality animal products (grass-fed meats, wild fish and organic or free-range poultry and eggs).’
- ‘I didn't do all the recipes because my family is flexitarian (mostly vegetarian, but we do eat seafood and poultry).’
- ‘Lightlife makes a meat-reduced lifestyle easy and affordable with several convenient, vegan and vegetarian options for the budding flexitarian in you.’
- ‘She's been presenting her mostly vegetarian recipes (she describes herself as a flexitarian) since 2005.’
- ‘Any other flexitarians out there?’
- ‘Our flexitarian producer Ariel Nunez is back on the mixing board and starts today's show with a gastrointestinal story about his first meat-eating experience in over six years.’
- ‘In fact, many people enjoy a "flexitarian," or semi-vegetarian, lifestyle, in which they enjoy meatless meals several times a week.’
- ‘Now I'm a militant flexitarian, and worship at the farmers' market.’
- ‘Nell Newman describes herself as a "flexitarian" when it comes to food and notes her favorite venue is farmers' markets.’
- ‘I'm thinking about changing our family (currently a blended eater family with me, a vegetarian, and my omnivore husband and our two undecided kids - one who leans toward veg and the other toward meaty) to a flexitarian family.’
- ‘Someone who is flexitarian is very comfortable being vegetarian one day and eating meat the next.’
- ‘If you're experimenting with going vegetarian, vegan, or flexitarian, this guide to meat substitutes can help you make smart choices.’
1990s: blend of flexible and vegetarian.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.