One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wound that breaks the skin but does not damage bones or vital organs.
- ‘A gaping, bloody, hurt-like-coconuts flesh wound, but a flesh wound at that.’
- ‘He sustained a flesh wound to his left cheek and his wife was shot through her right arm and chest.’
- ‘While it wasn't a flesh wound, his bullet wound couldn't be all that bad, or he never would've stayed on his feet so long.’
- ‘The first-half was marred when a reckless challenge caught Graham Hutchinson with a stud and he was taken to hospital for seven stitches to a deep flesh wound.’
- ‘When his charred corpse is being carried out on a stretcher towards a Baghdad graveyard, Bob's spirit will rise out of his body and let out a haunting screech - ‘It's just a flesh wound!’’
- ‘If you discount the minor flesh wound sustained by a Cornish meat pie van that brushed my Alfa very late at night some years ago, I have barely come into physical contact with another vehicle, so scrupulous is my driving.’
- ‘Feeling the smooth skin, I touched the flesh wound.’
- ‘Ben had explained to her that his injury, while a flesh wound, had not been cleaned properly, and as a result was badly infected.’
- ‘It was only a flesh wound, but a frustrating place to have a wound when her shoulder was in constant use.’
- ‘I really wish she had just come up to me at some point and said, ‘I say, mumsy, I have a minor flesh wound here, would you care to escort me to the veterinarian in the swiftest manner possible?’’
- ‘She went to work and was taken to hospital with a flesh wound.’
- ‘It was the equivalent of a mere flesh wound, but nonetheless, he had damaged the seemingly untouchable beast.’
- ‘The cramp in my side stung like a flesh wound, and my mind seemed to repeat the same words over and over again, ‘Get away.’’
- ‘The wound in his chest had almost completely healed, a flesh wound was all that was left of the gaping hole.’
- ‘Agent Clark suffered a flesh wound and should be back to desk duty in a few days.’
- ‘On the third Wednesday of every month I'd visit fat Dr. Pinski, an old demoralized psychiatrist who couldn't have spotted a suicide if the malcontent's errant bullet ricocheted off his desk and grazed him with a flesh wound.’
- ‘You would think that being stuck at home following an emergency operation on your back, which left you with a flesh wound that required cleaning and dressing by nurses on a daily basis, would be its own punishment.’
- ‘Chen was grazed by a bullet, sustaining a flesh wound to the abdomen, while Lu was injured in the knee while they were canvassing together for votes in Tainan, the president's hometown, in an open car.’
- ‘‘It's only a flesh wound,’ Billy said with great relief.’
- ‘Even through the fuzz he heard the cry of pain from Miles as a bullet struck him, but the pounding feet continued and Kessler knew that it was just a flesh wound, nothing that would stop the man from escaping the complex.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.