Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjectiveusually in phrase on fleek
Extremely good, attractive, or stylish:‘my hair is on fleek right now’‘OMG the music is on fleek’‘have you ever seen anything so fleek in your life?’
- ‘The double char-broiled bacon burger, hot dog, and Italian beef are on fleek.’
- ‘Emma's wardrobe has been on fleek the whole time she has been presenting for the show.’
- ‘My hair is totally fleek today. This wind hasn't touched it.’
- ‘Make sure your eyebrows are in shape by checking out the 26 chicest and fleekest brows on Instagram.’
- ‘Camila's eyebrows were on fleek on the red carpet.’
- ‘I'm over here all red-faced and sweating, while Anderson's ponytail and makeup are on fleek.’
Early 21st century: apparently an arbitrary formation; popularized in a 2014 video post on the social media service Vine by Kayla Newman (‘Peaches Monroee’).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.