Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A substance used to give a different, stronger, or more agreeable taste to food or drink.‘vanilla flavouring’[count noun] ‘only natural flavourings are allowed’
essence, extract, tincture, concentrate, concentration, distillateseasoning, spice, herb, additive, added flavourView synonyms
- ‘The recipe was pretty much just cream cheese, lots of powdered sugar, and flavorings of vanilla, mint, or chocolate.’
- ‘Mongolian cooking is generally very simple and does not use many spices, flavorings or sauces.’
- ‘Thai food is known as healthy cooking, with natural herbs, spices and flavorings, rather than artificial ingredients being used to enhance the flavor of the dishes.’
- ‘The product doesn't contain added salt, sugar, yeast, artificial colorings, flavorings or preservatives.’
- ‘He also makes a point of using liqueur ingredients with natural rather than artificial flavorings.’
- ‘These new products are certainly jazzier than tofu, but without sugar and artificial flavorings, they taste of nothing much.’
- ‘We're so conditioned to overprocessed foods and flavorings that we don't know true taste.’
- ‘Part of the coffee revolution is its ubiquity; hot or cold, with syrup or flavorings, spirits or spices, or coffee as a flavor itself.’
- ‘Use herbs, spices and other flavorings to enhance foods.’
- ‘Alfred makes a basic yoghurt spice paste and adds different flavourings according to the mushrooms chosen.’
- ‘I suggest you get to grips with the following three and add in different flavourings to complement the dish you are serving them with.’
- ‘Start by making some of the vinegars in this booklet, then create your own, adding your favorite herbs, spices and flavorings.’
- ‘Seasonings such as onions, herbs and flavorings used in recipes can change during freezing.’
- ‘Fast foods are often heavily processed and loaded with chemical flavorings, additives, and preservatives.’
- ‘We've used the same basic technique but slightly different flavourings.’
- ‘Some companies have added natural flavorings, such fruit or tea to their green drink mixes to make them more palatable.’
- ‘It is also an additive in vanilla extracts and other food flavorings.’
- ‘Fresh herbs are simply the best flavorings for many foods and drinks.’
- ‘Give it a taste and add more flavourings until it's blended in heat and sourness to your liking.’
- ‘Once the juice has cooled, remove the flavourings and sweeten to taste.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.