Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a large class of plant pigments having a structure based on or similar to that of flavone.
- ‘Apples are rich in plant compounds called flavonoids including catechin and quercetin.’
- ‘Such chemicals as carotenoids, flavonoids and phenols are generally present in foods of plant rather than animal origin.’
- ‘Quercetin is a flavonoid derived from a water-soluble plant pigment.’
- ‘The brain benefits of grape juice stem from its flavonoids, natural plant chemicals that act as antioxidants.’
- ‘Naturally occurring plant pigments, flavonoids are one of the reasons fruits and vegetables are so good for you.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.