One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a large class of plant pigments having a structure based on or similar to that of flavone.
- ‘The brain benefits of grape juice stem from its flavonoids, natural plant chemicals that act as antioxidants.’
- ‘Apples are rich in plant compounds called flavonoids including catechin and quercetin.’
- ‘Such chemicals as carotenoids, flavonoids and phenols are generally present in foods of plant rather than animal origin.’
- ‘Quercetin is a flavonoid derived from a water-soluble plant pigment.’
- ‘Naturally occurring plant pigments, flavonoids are one of the reasons fruits and vegetables are so good for you.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.