Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of naturally occurring pigments including riboflavin. They have a tricyclic aromatic molecular structure.
- ‘They reported peaks consistent with tryptophan, nicotinic coenzymes and flavins in both suspensions.’
- ‘Studies performed on cultured mammalian cell lines demonstrate that most of the cell fluorescence arises from reduced pyridine nucleotides, flavins, and lipofuscin.’
- ‘They measured the emission spectrum and attributed the autofluorescence to flavins.’
- ‘Most studies of UVA and violet-blue light responses have implicated carotenoids and flavins as molecular photoreceptors.’
- ‘Cellular flavins and flavin adenine dinucleotides and mononucleotides exist mostly as cofactors for enzymes involved in oxidation-reduction reactions.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin flavus yellow + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.