One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of naturally occurring pigments including riboflavin. They have a tricyclic aromatic molecular structure.
- ‘They measured the emission spectrum and attributed the autofluorescence to flavins.’
- ‘Cellular flavins and flavin adenine dinucleotides and mononucleotides exist mostly as cofactors for enzymes involved in oxidation-reduction reactions.’
- ‘Most studies of UVA and violet-blue light responses have implicated carotenoids and flavins as molecular photoreceptors.’
- ‘They reported peaks consistent with tryptophan, nicotinic coenzymes and flavins in both suspensions.’
- ‘Studies performed on cultured mammalian cell lines demonstrate that most of the cell fluorescence arises from reduced pyridine nucleotides, flavins, and lipofuscin.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin flavus ‘yellow’ + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.