Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A worm of a phylum which includes the planarians together with the parasitic flukes and tapeworms. They are distinguished by having a simple flattened body which lacks blood vessels, and a digestive tract which, if present, has a single opening.
- ‘Among the earliest hunters, flatworms were simple but effective killing machines.’
- ‘Planarians are free-living flatworms, and have a much simpler life history.’
- ‘All the ponds hosted parasitic flatworms called trematodes.’
- ‘The cestodes, or tapeworms, differ in a number of ways from other flatworms.’
- ‘The initial studies involved little flatworms called planaria that have a very primitive nervous system.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.