One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relatively flat items of crockery such as plates and saucers.
- ‘Consequently no new patterns of flatware or hollowware were introduced by the leading makers, and after the war the companies resurrected old patterns.’
- ‘When you pack flatware like plates, saucers, etc., wrap each item separately and then combine in groups of three.’
- ‘The team fashioned the biodegradable plastic into disposable flatware and plates that break down when composted.’
- ‘We eat off beautiful porcelain flatware every night but we don't own a bed.’
- ‘In 1961 she moved to Camden, Arkansas, where she created jewelry, hollowware, flatware, decorative wares, and personal accessories.’
- 1.1North American Domestic cutlery.
silverware, plate, silver plateView synonyms
- ‘As noted above, you usually begin with glass and silver or flatware, which need very hot water so that they dry quickly without streaks or spots.’
- ‘Bobby Jon turned from the china closet, hand on the drawer that probably held the silver flatware.’
- ‘Notable among them are a Victorian canteen of flatware, Georgian silver soup plates and serving and entrée dishes.’
- ‘If washing both silverware and stainless steel flatware in the dishwasher, do not put in the same basket section or let one metal touch the other, or the silver may be permanently damaged.’
- ‘At every turn, glasses and plates are whisked away and replaced, flatware is realigned, water glasses are refilled, napkins are switched.’
- ‘No American manufacturer currently produces sterling or silver-plated flatware in the Saarinen style.’
- ‘Eating is done most often with the right hand, though among the bourgeoisie flatware is prevalent.’
- ‘All one hears is the sound of conversation and the clinking of flatware on utilitarian white dishes.’
- ‘Modern yet informal concepts with elegant table settings, menu cards, glassware, linen and flatware have been used.’
- ‘Reed & Barton promoted their silverplated flatware with carefully illustrated catalogs and by placement in prominent hotels and restaurants.’
- ‘All of the cookie making supplies, as well as the cookies had disappeared, and in its place was a well set table, with glasses, dishes and flatware in all the proper places.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.